If my earlier post about the Zoom R8 recorder, sampler, controller and audio interface interested you, then you may be interested to learn that the R8 has a couple of bigger brothers.
The Zoom R16 and R24.
These compact but highly functional units provide an economical and versatile all in one solution to desktop recording.
Each is capable of performing as an audio recorder, MIDI controller and audio interface for your Mac or PC. The R24 also adds sampler functionality into the mix, like its little brother the R8.
Here are some of the features that R16 and R24 share:
- Record 8 tracks simultaneously
- On board tuner and metronome
- Silent operation
- 8 balanced XLR / 1/4″ TRS inputs
- 100’s of built in guitar amp modelling and DSP effects including compression and EQ
- Power using 6 AA batteries, AC or USB power – Great for field recording!
- Comes bundled with Cubase LE multi-track software and also a Bigfish audio samples
- A MIDI control surface for your DAW (Digital Audio Workstation – such as the bundled Cubase LE) also can be used Mackie control surface
- Supports upto 32 Gb of SD or SDHC memory card (Each come with a 1Gb card)
The Zoom R16
The R16 is a recorder, interface, controller (sorry no sampler on this version – you’ll need to take a look at the R8 or R24 for that).
It is capable of simultaneously recording 8 tracks at a time via the XLR/1/4″ TRS input connections and can playback 16 tracks simultaneously.
You can even chain 2 R16 units together, using the USB host connection, to achieve 16 tracks of simultaneous recording!
Phantom power is provided on channels 5 and 6 for use with condenser mics
If you are at all tempted by this versatile little unit, you should take a look at the 5 star reviews on Amazon.co.uk for the Zoom R16.Buy it from Amazon – bundled with an additional 16 GB SDHC memory card!
The Zoom R24
The R24 is a similar beast to the R16, in that it has 8 XLR / 1/4″ TRS inputs (although in the case of the R24, 6 of these inputs provide phantom power – making this a serious piece of kit for miking up a drumkit for instance).
But like its little brother the R8, this model incorporates 8 drum pads which can be used to trigger the onboard sampler.
Buy the Zoom R24 at Amazon – bundled with an EXTRA 16 Gb SDHC memory card & carry case!
I found a page containing recordings done on the R16 by a band called Baja Dunes live at the Bookwalter Winery. I think you’ll agree that Baja Dunes they have achieved a great sound with the R16.