- USB Audio Hardware
A while ago I wrote an article about a selection of USB to XLR microphone adapters. A great bunch of devices, but recently I noticed a new adaptor.
The USBQ available from Heil Sound (a veteran mic designer and manufacturer since 1966), adds some interesting features I’ve not seen on this type of USB XLR adapter microphone pre-amp before.
The USBQ not only provides USB to XLR conversion with 16-bit resolution at sampling rates up to 48kHz. It also has inline EQ adjustment! If you’ve ever found yourself wanting to apply some high or low frequency boost or filtering to your XLR mic signal before it’s committed to a recording, then check this one out.
Heil Sound themselves describe the USBQ as, ‘A professional quality, low noise microphone pre amplification complete with two band shelving equalization, on-board headphone amplifier and D/A converter in a compact, portable package’. It does exactly what it says on the tin!
The USBQ brings you two inline band EQ’s (Bass (centred at 80Hz) and Treble (centred at 8kHz) each of which can be boost or cut +/- 12dB). There’s also a gain control that can apply 40dB of microphone gain adjustment, switchable 48v Phantom power and a built in headphone amplifier (60 mW into 32ohms) with dedicated volume adjustment. All this is housed in a sturdy aluminium housing adorned with a attractive purple paint job.
Anyone looking for a USB to XLR converter/adapter should definitely add the USBQ to their list for consideration. It’s certainly the only one I’ve seen so far with integrated EQ control.
Links and further reading
If you like it, Share It!
- 8 USB boundary microphones
- Snowball Mic Gets New Limited Edition Colours
- Apogee USB audio interfaces compatible with iOS 7 and OS X Mavericks
- High quality audio playback for iOS by Onkyo
- Yet another interesting and innovative USB microphone from Blue Microphones
- 5 USB Turntables For The Style Conscious
- Cymatic LR16 USB multitrack recorder and audio interface
- Sonible Provides ‘Missing Link’ for Live USB Audio Playback